Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Will's Secret Plot

Part 1

Chris drummed his long fingers nervously on the table. He tipped his chair back so the front legs were a couple inches off the ground. Will frowned at him from across the table.

“Don’t do that Chris, you’ll fall.”

“I will no-.” Chris started to reply but decided against it, remembering his previous experiences with chair tipping. Instead he just sighed.

“What is it today Mr. Martin?” Will joked.

“Well….not to say these weekly sessions haven’t been helping me work my way through this Will….but I feel like it just isn’t enough to talk to you about my feelings anymore. I need a new way of expressing them.”

“Well how about a song? You’re good at that, you know.”

“Thanks for saying that. But it can’t be a song. It has to be a way to express them in public…..but in secret….if that makes any sense.”

“You certainly don’t make this easy on me Chris.”

“I’m sorry,” Chris replied, sounding genuinely apologetic. Will instantly regretted his words.

“It’s okay, it’s okay. This is nothing I can’t handle. An odd dilemma, sure. But hey, that’s what I’m here for, right?”

“Every Saturday from 9 to 5!” Chris chirped.

Will cleared his throat. “Um..yes. Now, back to that dilemma of yours. I think I may have an idea for you, if you are up to the challenge.”

“I’ll try anything,” Chris said desperately. He leaned in close as if he wouldn’t get the gist of Will’s idea unless he was inches away.

Will tried not to look annoyed. “Yeah….well, I was thinking you could sing part of a song in a foreign language, you know? Write what you want to say in English and then translate it? That way you could sing your heart out but no one would ever know.”

“That’s brilliant!” Chris screamed. He jumped up in his chair, causing it to fall backwards with a loud clang onto the floor. He slammed his hands down on the table, causing a glass of water to spill over.

Will sighed and began to clean up the water as Chris danced around the room. But soon the dancing footwork turned into pacing. “Oh no…..Will…..what language should I choose!?” he asked frantically. “It has to sound just right….”

“Well how about one of the romance languages?” Will suggested, cutting him off mid rant.

Chris gasped. “French! It’s perfect! Thank you SO much Will!”

Will allowed a small smile to cross his features. He had to admit that although the people he dealt with were often a tad bit crazy, the end of session solutions always made him feel good inside. “You’re welcome.” He folded his arms neatly on the table. “I don’t mean to be rude, but it’s almost noon and I do have other appointments…..”

"Oh of course,” Chris said, slapping himself in the face. “How silly of me. I’ll leave you be now. Thanks again!”

There was the sound of bouncing footsteps and then of a door shutting loudly. Will let out a breath he hadn’t known he was keeping in. But no sooner had the door closed than he heard it open once more. He didn’t hear any footsteps, which told him that his next appointment was now upon him. And a few seconds later, a thin dark haired man stood silently within view of Will.
“Hello” Will said.

“Hi,” the man quietly responded. He swiftly picked up the fallen chair and took a seat. He wondered why the chair was often turned over upon his arrival. But he didn’t dare ask.

“So what’s on your mind today, Guy?”

“Well….things just aren’t going so well, I guess.”

“Anything specific you’d like to share?”

“No…well…um…maybe.” Will gave him an encouraging smile. Guy almost smiled back, then continued. “It’s my look. I haven’t been feeling so great about myself lately. I look all wrong, I think. I don’t think the fans are interested in me anymore.” He stared at the ground ashamedly.

“I think they like you just fine. But if it would help your confidence level, you might want to consider making a change.”

“But what kind of change?” Guy questioned. “It’s not as if I can help how my face looks.”

“That may be true, but there are other physical things you could change about yourself. For example, have you ever considered dying your hair?”

“My…hair..?” Guy absentmindedly felt the top of his head. “I suppose I could do that.”

Will grinned. “Good. I think you might find that a little change is just what you need Guy.”

“Yeah. Okay, I’m done now. Goodbye.” And without another word he quietly stood and left. There was no slamming of the door this time. Will chuckled to himself at how different Chris and Guy were from each other.

-*-

“Ohhhh, you know I love you, you know I love you soooooooooo.” Chris sang out loudly. “Hmmm….now for the translation….” He flipped through the pages of his newly purchased English to French dictionary.

He searched for every word and wrote it down on a scrap sheet of paper. He cleared his throat and read from it. “Oh, tu sais que je t'aime, je t'aime bien.” He smiled. He thought it sounded pretty good. He tried it again, singing this time. “Ohhhh, tu sais que je t’aime, je t’aime biennnnn.”

He smiled with satisfaction. He thought it really did sound good, great even. He couldn’t wait to sing it to Jonny. It would be like a confession, without anyone ever having to know.



Part 2

Guy looked at himself in the mirror. To him his blonde hair was like bright headlights shining into sensitive eyes. He cringed a little. It had been a week, and nobody had made any positive comments about his new hair color. He didn’t feel any better about himself. If anything, he felt worse.

He thought he might feel better if there was some way he could know what his fans thought of his new look. He pondered how he might go about doing this. Suddenly a brilliant idea came to him.

“I know!” he exclaimed out loud. “I can check those forums….coldplay…ing or whatever it’s called, and see for myself what the fans think of this hair of mine!”

Hurriedly he dug his laptop out and opened up the internet. He quickly typed in the proper web address and in minutes was scrolling through the various threads. Finally he came to the one he was looking for and he clicked on it eagerly.

He read through a couple pages and felt as though his heart might break in two. They hated it….they all hated it. They didn’t even disguise it. He couldn’t believe he was reading these words.

He quickly shut off the computer. He felt as though someone had stuck a fork in his ego and yanked it out of him. He had now officially reached an all time low. Not knowing what else to do, he called up Jonny, who agreed to let him come over.

For a while they talked, until Guy whined about how his throat hurt from talking so much and Jonny agreed to run to the store to buy some tea for him. While he was away, Chris showed up at Jonny’s door prepared to sing his song to him.
He knocked, but there was no answer. So he just entered, knowing Jonny wouldn’t mind. “Hello?” he called out. But there was no answer.

He entered the living room and called out again. This time he heard mumbling. He looked around and noticed a lump on the couch covered from head to toe in blankets. “Oh there you are!”

“Mnnffmmmph,” said the lump. “I’m sorry I caught you at a bad time, but I have some new lyrics, if you….want to hear them…” he stuttered. There was another set of mumbles and Chris shrugged, figuring it was Jonny giving him permission to continue.

He cleared his throat. “Okay…here goes. But I must warn you, it’s a little…different than usual. And I wrote it especially for you. It kind of, well, it describes how I feel about you. Here goes…”

He took a deep breath and sung loudly and clearly. “Ohhhhhh, tu sais que je t'aime, je t'aime bieeeeeennnnnn.” Suddenly the lump shot up, causing the blankets to fall away and revealing a blonde haired Guy.

“What did you just say!? Did you just say you love….me!?” he screeched.

“Well…not exactly…”Chris stammered, completely shocked.

“You don’t fool me!” Guy shouted, pointing at him. “I took French in high school! You just said you loved me!” He threw off the blankets from him and jumped off the couch. “That is it! I am dyeing my hair back to black RIGHT NOW!” And he stormed out of the room.

Finally finding his voice, Chris called out after him. “NO! You’ve got it all wrong! I love JONNY!”

Guy didn’t hear him, but someone else did. Chris turned to the door and his eyes widened as he saw Jonny standing open mouthed in the doorway. He had no idea what to say. So he did what he did best. He apologized like crazy.

“I’m sorry Jonny, I’m sorry! Really, really sorry. I was way out of line." Jonny just stared. “This may just be the worst day of my life. Worse than that time I walked in on my parents- OH GOD!"

He cried out in horror of the memory and of what had just happened and tired to run past Jonny and out the door. But Jonny stopped him. “Wait Chris.”

“What is it Jonny? I think I have already been humiliated enough for one day.”

“You shouldn’t be humiliated for that. I should be the one humiliated. At least you had the guts to admit your feelings, in one way or another. I never could have done that. Until now.” He kissed Chris lightly on the cheek. “I love you too, you fool.”

-*-

Guy gave himself a once over. His hair was now black as the night once again. And so was his confidence. Somewhere along the way, he had gained it back. But certainly not with any help from Will.

Upon thinking of the man he frowned. He called up Chris. “Are you ready to go?”
The reply was so loud it could be heard by any other people had there been any standing in the room. “You bet I am!”

Twenty minutes later Chris and Guy pounded on Will’s door. “Will!” Guy called out.

“We’d like a word with you,” Chris added.

Will cautiously opened the door. “What seems to be the problem you two?” he questioned.

“We have a bone to pick with you!” Chris said, jabbing his finger into Will’s chest.

“Yeah!” Guy added.

“What’s the trouble?” Will inquired.

“The trouble is that because of you, I temporarily lost all of my regular fans and gained one I didn’t want….Chris. As soon as I dyed my hair he like, fell in love with me. He sang to me…in French. “

Chris opened his mouth to protest but figured it was a lost cause, since he had already attempted to explain the truth of the situation multiple times to Guy. “And because of you I got nervous and my love confession came out all wrong. I was so worried about the French pronunciation that I didn’t think and I blurted out my confession in English!”

Will sighed and rubbed his face. It was late. He wasn’t in the mood for this. “Listen, Chris, but aren’t you with Jonny now?”

“Yeah…”

“And Guy, don’t you have your ego-I mean-confidence, back?”

“I certainly do.”

“Exactly. And what you guys don’t know is that this was my secret plot all along. I knew things would turn out this way.” He smiled smugly. “Now, do you have anything else you’d like to tell me?” He glared at them.

“Thank you,” they both mumbled, and then rushed out of there as quickly as they could.

Will closed the door and laughed. He hadn’t had the slightest clue things would turn out that way. But that would remain his little secret.




THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment